Many IBM Operational Decision Manager (ODM) implementation projects struggle to deliver the full maintainability, scalability and rapid time to value possible using this market-leading technology. Problems begin early when teams start trying to gather their rules in long lists or spreadsheets, or by reverse-engineering their existing code. These rule-first approaches take a long time, slowing time to value, and create rules that will be hard to maintain and scale. A better, more decision-centric approach is possible.
A decisions-first, decision modeling approach using the Decision Model Notation (DMN) standard and DecisionsFirst™ Modeler is the best practice for IBM ODM projects. Building a decision model that visually structures the required solution and is linked to the business context (KPIs, metrics, organizational structure and business processes) ensures that implementation in IBM ODM is faster and cheaper while resulting in more accurate rules, more business engagement and better value realized.
Using DecisionsFirst Modeler and IBM ODM together
- Gets you to value realized sooner by reducing the time to get the requirements right and the rules implement.
- Provides a visual, business user friendly front-end to your business rules so that business, IT and analytic teams can collaboratively define their requirements.
- Delivers full traceability from business objectives through decision models to business rules so you can identify the changes you need.
- Supports improved impact analysis and simulation of these changes before they are deployed.
- Ensures a single master copy of the business rules managed in IBM ODM Decision Center so you can leverage all the governance and security features of IBM ODM.
DecisionsFirst Modeler is a collaborative decision modeling solution that makes it easy to model decisions as part of the requirements process, based on the Decision Model and Notation (DMN) standard to future proof your investment in decision models and skills. Adding decision modeling to these programs adds tremendous value and takes the program to the next level.