Live Online Training
Next Session Dates Coming Soon
Live In Person Training in London July 11, 2017
Click here for more information.
Contact Us about our On Demand Course for Groups
Decision modeling with the Decision Model and Notation (DMN) standard is fast becoming the definitive approach for sustained business engagement, improved traceability and flexible and analytic enterprise applications.
With decision modeling, you can:
- Re-use, evolve, and manage business rules for your first business rules project and beyond.
- Effectively frame the requirements for analytic projects.
- Define analytically driven performance dashboards.
- Optimize and streamline business processes.
This 3-part online live training class taught by leading expert James Taylor, CEO of Decision Management Solutions, will prepare you to be immediately effective in a modern, collaborative, and standards-based approach to decision modeling.
You will learn how to identify and prioritize the decisions that drive your success, see how to analyze and model these decisions, and understand the role these decisions play in delivering more powerful information systems.
Each step is supported by interactive decision modeling work sessions focused on problems that reinforce key points. All the decision modeling and notation in the class is based on the DMN standard, future-proofing your investment in decision modeling. Decision modeling is also a Technique in V3 of the BABOK® Guide by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA).
Prerequisite: Introduction to Decision Management or equivalent experience.
- Decision Modeling Basics
- Introduction to Decision Model and Notation
- Core elements of decision models
- Essential Decision Properties
- Decision Requirements Modeling
- Modeling Decision Requirements
- Elicitation, Verification and Completion
- Additional Decision Properties
- Applying Decision Modeling
- Decision Logic Modeling
- Business Rules and Decision Modeling
- Analytics and Decision Modeling
- Driving the Requirements Process with Decision Modeling
- Getting started and next steps
- Live Session: This is live training. Recorded sessions will be available to registrants on the day of each session.
- Decision Modeling Software: It is recommended that participants use a decision modeling software for the exercises, but other diagramming software or paper and pencil can also be used. The course examples will be in a class installation of DecisionsFirst Modeler. Use of DecisionsFirst Modeler is optional, attendees can use other diagramming or modeling tools for the course exercises. The techniques taught are equally applicable.
- DecisionsFirst Modeler: DecisionsFirst Modeler supported browsers are IE, Firefox or Safari and requires the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. See this support article for details.
- Cancellation Policy: Registrations may be canceled up to 48 hours in advance of the first class. A 15% administrative fee will be retained if you choose to cancel. To cancel, please contact us.
- Technology Check: The class will be conducted in Adobe Connect, a Flash-based environment. Please test your environment beforehand at https://admin.acrobat.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm. We will use chat and Q&A to communicate in the class but it is also helpful if we are able to have audio interactions. For audio interaction you need a microphone or headset connected to your computer and you need to have downloaded the Adobe Connect Add-in from the test URL above.
- Audio: Audio plays through your computer speakers. Please have a microphone or headset available for your computer so you can interact during the class. You will be able to type questions and comments, but a headset or microphone allows for more interactivity.
- If for any reason the class cannot take place as scheduled, you will be offered alternative training dates at the same price.
Next Session Winter 2017
Contact Us about our on demand course for groups.
Quotes from Attendees
- This course teaches skills and methods that would have been invaluable in many past projects. Better late than never!
- Vital stuff if you want to put analytics to work in your organisation’s operations.
- [The course] really let me understand how the various aspects of DM, BPM, Rules, analytics and other concepts tie together and can be defined independently and used interdependently.
- Very provocative! Excellent use of examples and participation.
- Learned more important things today for long-term job responsibilities than in years.
- You have a great deal of useful and wonderful info. Your stories are excellent.
- James does a good job of explaining complex concepts in an easy and clear manner. I can relate and apply the concepts directly to my job.
- Appreciated “real examples” and discussions – learned more about a topic unfamiliar to me – well done! Thank you!
Who Should Attend
- Business analysts tasked with developing requirements.
- Managers responsible for working with business rules and analytic technologies.
- Business owners looking to make their business applications and reporting more agile and adaptable.
- Subject Matter Experts responsible for documenting business rules.
- Enterprise and Technical Architects developing business architecture models.
- Technology experts who wish to build systems and processes that fully leverage the capabilities of business rules and related analytic technologies.
- Data analysts working on business intelligence or other analytic projects.
James is the CEO of Decision Management Solutions. James is passionate about helping organizations use decision management and decision modeling to improve business requirements for agile, analytic, and adaptive business processes and systems. James has spent the last 20 years developing approaches, tools, and platforms that others can use to build more effective information systems. He has led Decision Management efforts for leading companies in insurance, banking, health management, manufacturing, travel, and telecommunications.
More Course Offerings