This event has passed. Our next class will be scheduled in Q1 of 2021
This is a live training. Recordings will be sent out after each session in case you miss the session or want to want to review at a later time. For those who live in time zones where the session is scheduled outside working hours, a separate work session to go over homework can be scheduled.
Decision modeling with the Decision Model and Notation (DMN) standard is fast becoming the definitive approach for sustained business engagement, improved traceability and flexible and analytic enterprise applications.
With decision modeling, you can:
- Re-use, evolve, and manage business rules.
- Effectively frame the requirements for analytic projects.
- Streamline reporting requests.
- Define analytically driven performance dashboards.
- Optimize and simplify business processes.
This three-part online live training class taught by leading expert James Taylor, CEO of Decision Management Solutions, will prepare you to be immediately effective in a modern, collaborative, and standards-based approach to decision modeling.
You will learn a step-by-step process on how to identify and prioritize the decisions that drive your success, see how to analyze and model these decisions, and understand the role these decisions play in delivering more powerful information systems.
Interactive work sessions support each step, focused on problems that reinforce key points. All of the decision modeling and notation in the class is based on the DMN standard, future-proofing your investment in decision modeling.
- Decision Modeling Basics
- Introduction to Decision Model and Notation
- Core elements of decision models
- Essential Decision Properties
- Decision Requirements Modeling
- Modeling Decision Requirements
- Elicitation, Verification and Completion
- Additional Decision Properties
- Applying Decision Modeling
- Business Rules and Decision Modeling
- Analytics and Decision Modeling
- Driving the Requirements Process with Decision Modeling
- Getting started and next steps
For questions about large group discounts or special arrangements, Contact Us
General Information for Attendees
- Format – This is a live training. Recordings will be sent out after each session in case you miss the session or want to want to review at a later time. For those who live in time zones where the session is scheduled outside working hours, a separate work session to go over homework can be scheduled.
- Recommended Software – It is recommended that participants use a decision modeling software for the exercises, such as DecisionsFirst Modeler. However, use of this software is optional, and other diagramming software, modeling tools, or paper and pencil can also be used. The techniques taught are equally applicable. Course examples will be in a class installation of DecisionsFirst Modeler. All participants will receive a free trial of the recommended software. It runs on Windows (with Microsoft Silverlight plugin) and MacOS as well as in Internet Explorer.
- Cancellation Policy – Registrations may be canceled up to 48 hours in advance of the first class. A 15% administrative fee will be retained if you choose to cancel. To cancel, please contact us.
- Technology Check – Prior to class, please have installed and tested Adobe Connect, a Flash-based environment, because the class will be conducted in that. You can test here: https://decisionmanagementsolutions.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm.
- Hardware Check – Although we will use chat and Q&A to communicate in the class, it is also helpful if we are able to have audio interactions. For audio interaction you need a microphone or headset connected to your computer and you need to have downloaded the Adobe Connect Add-in from the test URL above. Audio plays through your computer speakers. Please have a microphone or headset available for your computer so you can interact during the class. You will be able to type questions and comments, but a headset or microphone allows for more interactivity.
- Other Terms – If for any reason the class cannot take place as scheduled, you will be offered alternative training dates at the same price.
Quotes from Attendees
- “Instead of beginning with the data, I now know to start with what decision I am trying to make.”
- “The course really helped me understand how decision modeling ties together business process, business rules and predictive analytics.”
- “Immediately useful.”
- “Decision modeling would have been invaluable in many past projects, saving significant time.”
- “Even simple decision requirements diagrams quickly bring clarity and focus to analytic problems.”
- “James does a good job of explaining complex concepts in an easy and clear manner. I can relate and apply the concepts directly to my job.”
- “Appreciated real examples and discussions – well done! Thank you!”
Who Should Attend
- Data Analysts working on BI and other analytics projects.
- Data Scientists developing analytic models.
- Business Analysts tasked with developing requirements.
- Managers responsible for working with business rules and analytic technologies.
- Business owners looking to make their business applications and reporting more agile and adaptable.
- Subject Matter Experts responsible for documenting business rules.
- Enterprise and Technical Architects developing business architecture models.
- Technology experts who wish to build systems and processes that fully leverage the capabilities of business rules and related analytic technologies.
About the Instructors
Charlotte is an experienced decision modeler who has developed decision models for multiple Decision Management Solutions’ clients around the world.